Username : Password : | Lost Password

JanJ (Jr. Member) - 4 designs | 112 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 03:58 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Hi All.

Firstly i would like to thank everybody for making DesignsToLove what it is today. DesignsToLove has grown beyond my wildest expectations.

Over the pass month, we have received more than 250000 visits from all around the world. We now have a membership of
810 members who have posted a total of 2307 craft designs.

This is the good news. The bad news is, all this traffic and bandwidth is taking a toll on my servers.
At the moment, the hosting cost of DesignsToLove comes out from my own pocket. This is fine in the short term but would probably be too costly in the long run.

I have thought of implementing text ads relevant to craft into the website in order to support the operational cost of DesignsToLove. However before i decide, i would first like to hear your thoughts on this matter. Afterall, DesignsToLove would be nothing without the contribution and support of our members. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to post them here.
dksheat (Jr. Member) - 33 designs | 9 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 11:37 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I am sorry you are having problems with the website and I, for one, wouldn`t mind advertisements.

Kathy, England
tanchweehua (Jr. Member) - 5 designs | 7 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 12:03 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Its a great site, some adverts won`t hurt if they can pay for your costs to maintain and expand our interests...go for it and the exposure might lead to even more ideas and opportunities for everyone ;)
ButterflyBlue (Jr. Member) - 11 designs | 13 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 04:09 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
It would be such a shame if this forum couldn`t continue. I don`t mind adds, just don`t like those `sneaky` ones or those `flashing` ones.
KnitErrant (Jr. Member) - 7 designs | 4 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 05:27 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I`m really enjoying this place so far -- I wouldn`t mind ads to offset costs.

Another option might be to have a subscriber service similar to what DeviantArt does. I think the subs over there start at $3.95/month? $4.95/month? But I guess that could easily turn into a headache all it`s own, too.
bstoopman (Jr. Member) - 89 designs | 38 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 07:39 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Hi Jan,
Craft related adds are fine by me. Am sure you`d have no problem finding online craft and bead suppliers who`d be happy to have an advertisting banner on Designs to love.

The issue with subscriber service is that you may loose lots of members who can`t afford the sub, eg stay at home mums, people only starting out and looking for a market, those who already have their own websites, and those who craft just for fun. Not to mention the nightmare of administering a sub-scription service....

One of the great things about this site is the forum for chat about craft related things. It would be a shame to loose that.

Maybe you can limit the amount of space allocated to each user for posting pics. This way users are forced to delete pics from their galleries before posting new ones once they reach their allocated space.

Lynn1976 (Jr. Member) - 36 designs | 54 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
30 Oct 2006 11:56 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I don`t mind ads as long as it is relevant to what we have here (so craft related is perfect).

It is great that we have grown so much
zayday (Jr. Member) - 62 designs | 5 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 02:48 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Relevant ads are ok, how about a donations button as well? I for one don`t mind sending a donation towards the upkeep of the site.
Scrap4U (Jr. Member) - 45 designs | 28 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 03:37 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I think everyone who has joined has been impressed by the site. It gives us a chance for feedback, it allows us to build up our businesses and provides an avenue where we can ssek answers to our questions. Therefore, I dont think anyone would mind craft related ads as a necessary part of it`s upkeep... I was wondering how you were managing to carry the site all on your own Jan!

Further, I think a donations button is a great idea. I think many would be reluctant to maintain membership if there was a compulsory subscription fee (for the reasons mentioned by bstoopman above).

And the idea to limit pics members can upload (provided it`s reasonable) is an idea worth thinking about...otherwise people (like me) can become lazy and just leave old stuff on there!

Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 04:02 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Thank you all for your honest feedback.

There will certainly be no sneaky/flashing/popup ads. I too am not a big fan of ads but it seems like the best way to keep the site running without asking people directly for money. So far i have only considered text ads which are the least intrusive and does not really steal the attention away from the actual content.

The only experience i have with text ads are with google adsense. How it works is it takes the content of the page and shows relevant text ads relating to the content of the page. For example a page with beading content will display ads for beading suppliers. This ads can sometimes be fairly helpful and I have actually found some great bead suppliers out of them

The only downside is that based on my experience, they pay fairly low rates (ranges from 0.01 cent to 0.20 perclick). I might try this option to start of with and see how it goes. Please let me know if any of you have had any experience with Google Adsense.

Having the option of a premium account as suggested by KnitErrant is a pretty good idea. However DesignsToLove will always remain free for everyone. Premium accounts would be optional and will probarly allow special access to certain functionalities not available to free accounts such as no ads, the option of uploading a banner in their gallery etc. It needs to be a substantial offering as it would be unfair to offer a paid account for pretty much the same features as a normal account. Also how much is a fair price and how much would people be willing to pay for such a service?

I am truly honoured and thankful that you offered to donate towards the upkeep of the site. However this would just pass the burden from me to you and it would probarly not be feasible in the long run.

Let me know what you thoughts
tanchweehua (Jr. Member) - 5 designs | 7 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 06:20 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Its almost touching to see your committment and care for the interest of crafters, and to ensure that this site will always be free...seem a very generous, democratic and intelligent attitude to life...
Whatever decision you may take in this matter I trust that you will act in our interest and in the most unselfish manner, you deserve our support and every success with this project
TripleWillow (Jr. Member) - 23 designs | 59 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 10:27 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
This might be a silly idea but could each of us pay a small fee a month? You said there is 810 members. If each one paid, say a dollar a month, would 810.00 a month be enough?

Or, barring that, could we all agree to click on the ads regularly to make sure the per click number`s stayed up?

I`ll donate something if it comes to that. I have had numerous click throughs on my website from DTL and at least one sale because of it.

Besides, this is a great bunch of folks!
Blessings,
Snow
rJax (Jr. Member) - 19 designs | 18 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 11:38 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I`m fine with ads as long as they`re not pop-ups or ones like that. Those annoy me.

Thanks for making this site Jan.
starkoch (Jr. Member) - 10 designs | 1 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 12:51 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I don`t mind the ads.
I know this is a difficult decision you have to make with something that was born out of a love of crafts.

What ever you decide is fine. I`m so grateful to have a place to share my jewelry
lilycobweb (Jr. Member) - 25 designs | 4 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
31 Oct 2006 07:38 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Dear Jan, just to add my voice to the above-whatever you decide is sure to be in the interests of all the users. I have found this site a wonderful source of encouragement and inspiration and have recommended it to crafter friends. Keep up the good work and be assured of my support.
maxsmum (Jr. Member) - 26 designs | 14 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
1 Nov 2006 02:01 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Hi Jan,
I think everyone that uses this site is thrilled with it!! I was thinking that the premium account is a great idea. I would be more than willing to pay to use this site. I was thinking, and i don`t know how others might feel about this, but what about us being the ones who pay for ads??

What i mean is, if we paid a fee, and you could display an add to promote our separate businesses? Like i could pay you a fee, and you could display an add for my website. If we paid, and had adds to promote our own business, it would get seen more often than if people just stumbled across our designs!!?!! I guess you are talking in American Dollars, and it would depend on the size of the add and things like that, but i reckon i would be happy to pay $50 or so, for a small add. I guess that`s only about $39 American, but it`s just an idea.......

I hope you find the right solution, and i certainly don`t envy you the position, but i`m sure all us crafters will stick behind you, whatever you decide. I would be more than willing to donate also....... or to pay a yearly membership fee..... how much do you need to raise annually?

Chelsea. 80
Send Message Add To Fav
1 Nov 2006 02:05 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Whoops, that was supposed to be -

Chelsea.
Lynn1976 (Jr. Member) - 36 designs | 54 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
1 Nov 2006 03:33 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I like maxsmum`s idea about the ads... I would be willing to pay for that
Send Message Add To Fav
2 Nov 2006 03:38 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Thank you all for the encouraging feedback.

I really like maxmum`s idea too. I am more comfortable with the idea of providing a paid service that mutually benefits both parties instead of having donations. I also much prefer helping advertise/promote our members products instead of random companies via Google Ads. (i`ve seen some weird ones popping up). That is why i have decided to remove the Google Ads and hopefully come up with a custom Ad system that would benefit our members.

Thank you once again to all for your wonderful support! It is such a great thing to have people who are passionate about the site and so willing to help out.

I have so many things i want to do with DesignsToLove but can`t because i`m just swamped with work and running BeadCharm plus Christmas is just around the corner.

I will try to draft the ad system out this weekend and also write down what plans i have for DesignsToLove.

Also just to get some feedback :

Should we go with image ads?
How much is a fair monthly rate?
I know that this generally comes down to traffic. DesignsToLove has only been up for 1 month so there`s not much traffic info to go by. However during the 1st month online (Oct), it has already done 213,163 views.

Looking forward to hearing what you think and any other ideas you might have.
Send Message Add To Fav
2 Nov 2006 05:14 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I was just wondering where and how often the ads would be displayed? I guess i have such a limited knowledge of the hard stuff involoved in making a website, i don`t really know how it would work.......

I still would be more than willing to pay for an ad, and don`t really know what the standard rate is for a monthly ad?!? I think image ads would benefit us more. Like, i would be more likely to look at something that had an eyecatching image, rather than just text!! But i guess that`s harder for you to add in to the website, therefore more work means defeating the point......

I`m really excited to see your draft ad system, and your other plans. I wish I had the balls to start something so successful!! You`re a champion Jan!!
scheysonline (Jr. Member) - 16 designs | 10 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
2 Nov 2006 07:38 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Wow Jan you have put so much time and effort into building this site, and it is, I`m sure far beyond what you expected. Whatever you decide to do is fine by me. I love clicking on the craft and beading ads (sometimes I get lost by doing that). The suggestion of a donate button is a great idea. All of the ideas are good ones. So count me in. SCHeys.
Billy (Jr. Member) - 17 designs | 1 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
2 Nov 2006 03:09 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Go0d news and bad news.
No.... really only good news. As long as this site continues a few adds don`t make it bad news. Keep it up in any way possible..I think we are all used to adds and they can also be useful if they are from good suppliers.This site helps make my day.
nursesnaturally (Jr. Member) - 9 designs | 57 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
2 Nov 2006 04:50 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I agree you have built a wonderful place for us.It would have to be expensive.The ads that would provide a significant amount to the upkeep seems reasonable.The preimum site too.You allow an awful lot for nothing..Would cutting down the pictures size and to say 2 or 2 make very much difference even cutting that option with the postings.Then later add it back on? Whatever you decide is fine.Seems to me the growth here is remarkable so many suppliers could benefit from ads here..
dlenheim (Jr. Member) - 8 designs | 4 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
2 Nov 2006 10:28 PM
Edit Post | Report Spam
I do not like pop up`s but if you used a feature that I believe is called frames I would not mind a list of sponcer`s going down the left side so that I could click on them when I wanted to look for some item. I would also buy for them companys that help us out
ophelia (Jr. Member) - 33 designs | 9 posts
Send Message Add To Fav
3 Nov 2006 08:15 AM
Edit Post | Report Spam
Don`t go the pop-up route or I will officially have to stop visiting!!! Haha even pop-up blockers don`t catch them all. But google`s ads I do not mind so much as long as they are at the top or bottom of the pages instead of in amongst everything (I always find it hard to find what I`m looking for and end up accidentally clicking on google stuff)...

I wouldn`t mind paying a couple bucks a month to have my own rotating banner on the site (one of those small button type ones) ... maybe other users would do the same - really cheap like $1/$2 per month which if everyone did would certainly help the costs.
Page 1 - Listing Post 1 to 25 of 558 Posts | Subscribe To Thread
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Next

Post reply to Some good and bad news

To post a message, please Login or Sign Up for a FREE account